Hair loss can be the result of several underlying conditions, stress, or improper hair care. Many patients schedule an appointment once they notice that their hair is thinning or falling out, but sometimes, hair loss is not obvious.
Signs of hair loss include:
- Receding hairline
- Thinning of the hair on the scalp over time
- Balding that leaves the crown of the head exposed
- Sudden loss of patches of hair
- Loss of hair on the body
During your first appointment, we will evaluate your concerns and ask questions about your lifestyle, medications, recent illnesses, general health, and family history before conducting a physical examination of your scalp or the hair loss area. For some patients, especially women, blood work may be done so we can gain a better understanding of your hormone levels and overall health before proceeding with a treatment plan. Oftentimes, hair loss is a side effect of a medication you may be taking, hormonal imbalance, or other underlying issue.
Treating hair loss can be done at home or in our office depending on the type of procedure best suited for your needs.
The most common hair loss treatments we provide are:
- Minoxidil: Commonly known as Rogaine, this topical application is highly effective and the only hair regrowth product that is FDA-approved for both men and women.
- Corticosteroids: If inflammation or an underlying medical issue is causing your hair loss, we may inject a corticosteroid into your scalp to reduce the swelling and help reduce hair loss.
We understand the importance for both men and women of keeping a healthy head of hair. For more information on hair loss or to schedule an appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at (919) 887-2660.